Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Everyday I'm shufflin...

Connor has been a superstar the last two nights! Last Sunday, I had just about had enough. I have been exhausted, moody, grumpy, sore (from sharing a bed with a squirmy 9 month old) and basically just a big grump!

For the last 9 months, I have only had two nights of solid sleep (the two nights Chase and I went to Eureka for New Years!). So basically on Sunday night, I had a mini-break and I was so frustrated that I was not able to sleep. I felt terrible that I was frustrated at my sweet and amazing son for not letting me sleep.  Well, coincidentally I had a friend from my Instagram suggest 'The Sleep Lady Shuffle' that evening to another friend in the same boat,  which is based off a book titled "The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight: Gentle Proven Solutions to Help Your Child Sleep Well and Wake Up Happy" by Kim West.

You better believe I hopped over to Amazon and ordered that baby!

Well... the book arrived on Wednesday while I was at work. I came straight home, put down Connor, and started reading with fervor. Basically my husband and child's my life depended on it. ;)

That night, Connor cried for about 15 minutes. We stayed in the room with him and comforted him with calm words and shooshes from side of his crib until he fell asleep. The poor kid just didn't know how to fall asleep on his own without nursing, walking, bouncing, or patting. We were doing him a terrible disservice by not teaching him how to fall asleep on his own. So that night he woke up three times. All three times, we did the same thing as bedtime. We comforted him from the side of his crib, but did not pick him up. He eventually fell asleep on his own... although at 1:45 he was up for an hour and ten minutes- sometimes crying. It was hard!

Last night, he fell asleep with minimal fussing (5 minutes). We didn't hear from him again until 1:45!! That is the LONGEST stretch he has slept ever in his entire life! (You moms out there can sympathize, I know!) He only woke up once more and we had to shoosh and stand by his crib but he fell asleep again by himself.

Well tonight, I laid him down, and was prepared to go back in his room, but I needed to make a quick phone call so I left the room with the intention of going back. Only.... he fell asleep before I could make it back in! No fussing, no crying, no talking... just sleep! We'll see how many times he wakes up tonight, but just within three nights his sleeping has changed by leaps and bounds. I'm so in LOVE with Kim West!

We had tried Baby Wise... the Baby Whisperer... Crying it out... they didn't work for us. Sleep lady, you rock.

I heart you.


2 comments:

Reba said...

So glad you are getting some sleep. I do think it is an important lesson to teach them (how to fall asleep on their own).

Kalyn Cavalier said...

Reba I completely agree!!