Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

{ Homemade Chicken & Dumplings | Recipe }

One of my all-time favorite meals EVER has to be Chicken and Dumplings.


I've used the same recipe for as long as I can remember, and usually just "wing it." I tried to be a little more calculative tonight, and wrote down some of my measurements.

With the pending Ice-pocalypse (hah) tomorrow, I figured a good soup was in order.

My dumplings are courtesy my Mamaw, who made terrific dumplings!


Here's my recipe:

Chicken & Dumplings

Ingredients:


(Soup)

32 oz chicken broth
2 chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 cups water
2 T corn starch
1 C milk

(Dumplings)

3 C flour
1/2 C butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 C milk

Directions:


Boil water, and add chicken breasts. Simmer until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken, save water. Shred chicken. 


In a large soup pot, combine chicken broth, salt. pepper, and left over chicken broth and shredded chicken. Cook on low while making the dumplings.


Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Sift together. Cut in softened butter. Add milk and gently mix together. Press out with fingertips on a lightly floured surface. Cut into strips, or use a miniature biscuit cutter to cut dumplings. Add to hot broth. 


Cook for 10 minutes or until dumplings have puffed in size. 


Combine corn starch and milk, and then add slowly to soup. Cook a few more minutes longer, and then remove from heat. Mixture will thicken more after cooling.





That's it! A super simple, and wholesome Chicken & Dumplings. Now go buy yo' eggs, and buy yo' milk, and make some dumplings before the impending doom-storm hits.

2 comments:

Debbie Wegner said...

This looks absolutely delicious. It has inspired me to think about posting my own recipe on my blog. Mine is less from scratch, I ain't no cook. I think it is more for those of us who don't have the skills.

Kalyn Cavalier said...

Haha Debbie! Do post it!! I am always in the market to try something different!

I love reading your blog!