Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hey, Cupcake...

This week, the two C's and I have been getting back into our routine.

After being gone for nearly two weeks, traveling, visiting, holiday-ing, photographing, and much more, we are finally back home.

Being gone made me realize how much I enjoy our home, and our routine. I love making dinner, keeping the laundry at bay, baking, cooking, and crafting with my family.

Chase and I have had a super busy month of projects (headboards, painting, building a wall for our booth- all to be shared in due time!), but tonight was a simple project.

Cupcakes.

While at Target today, I found a lovely tub of sprinkles on the $1.00 aisle. (I know... that aisle will be the death of me). At that moment, I decided it was a cupcake kind of day.

Fast forward a few hours, and we have homemade cupcakes cooling on a rack and icing in the blender.

I wish I could share with you a few "during" photos, but I was too busy licking icing off my fingers to be bothered with taking pictures.






Here's the recipe I used! It was super simple and good. You could easily dress it up with some lemon, or strawberries in the icing or cupcakes themselves.

Yellow Cake Recipe
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1 1/4 cups milk
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs

1. Heat oven to 350*. Put cupcake liners in cupcake pan. 

2. In a large bowl/food blender/processer, beat all ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape sides constantly. Then, beat on high speed for 3 minutes until frothy. Scoop into cupcake tins.

3. Bake 25-30 minutes until  cupcakes spring back to the touch. Cool on a wire rack 10-20 minutes, then remove cupcakes and let cool completely. 

4. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

(if using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt)



Crean Cheese Frosting
1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

1. In a bowl/food blender/processer, beat cream cheese, butter, milk, and vanilla on low until smooth. 

2. Gradually beau in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. 

3. I piped my frosting by using a small zip-lock baggie and cutting off the end and twisting the baggie to dispense the frosting. Worked like a charm! Top with your desired topping! Fresh fruit would be a nice addition!



 The result? A really delicious, and pleasing cupcake. 





3 comments:

Kim S said...

I'm going to have to try this, but I doubt they'll come out as adorable as yours. They look delicious!

Kalyn Cavalier said...

Kim, I picked out the cute ones to photography... some were not so cute! ;)

It was fun though!

Reba said...

Yum! Lauren is my cupcake girl. I will share your recipe with her. We can't do the sprinkle thing (no artificial colors/flavors for one of my kiddos) but we can definitely add some other treats. If I didn't eat all of the frosting on my own... :)