Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Not your grandma's fried chicken...

But it's pretty close!

Some days just call for comfort food. Today... was one of those days.

Lately, Connor has had a few meltdowns. By meltdown, I mean, "the world is going to end if you don't pick me up"... those kind.

The last two weeks, they have just coincidentally happened at playgroup. We're pretty sure it's because he's overwhelmed with the amount of awesome kiddos, and noise, and he's not quite sure how to communicate that yet. He just gets really upset.

I can see the signs though. He starts rubbing his eyes, pulling me towards the door... so today we were gathering things to leave, and it happened.

 I felt like World's #1 Mom. We're also watching my friend's daughter this week, so I had her on my hip, and Connor was definitely not going to walk beside me. I had all my awesome playgroup friends offering to help, but I was in survival mode, and just wanted to get the kiddos outside.

It was like a light switch was flipped as soon as we walked outside.

He was cool then. The world was most definitely not going to end.

The rest of the day was smooth. We played inside, then we played outside.. we played in the dirt, and we played on the slide.

So to celebrate (haha.) the day, I made my most comforting comfort food. I've been trying really hard to eat sensibly, and return to a normal routine. Tonight was not one of those nights. I indulged, and it was great.

So, here's the recipe. It's pretty simple and straightforward.


Fried Chicken
2 cups flour (I used self rising, because it's what I had)
1 T salt
1 T pepper
1/2 T onion powder
1/2 T garlic powder
1 1/2 cups milk
Assorted chicken pieces (we just so happened to have drumsticks only)
Skillet (I use a cast iron)
1 cup oil of your choice for frying



1. Heat oil in your skillet (medium-ish- not too hot)
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Place milk in a separate bowl.
3. Wash and dry your chicken pieces
4. Soak in milk for 3-5 seconds
5. Dredge in flour mixture
6. Place in skillet and let fry on each side for 3-5 minutes, turning to each side.
7. Temperature should reach 180*- remove and place on a paper towel.

Eat and enjoy. 







2 comments:

Reba said...

Yum! I am enjoying your recipes. We have changed up diet around here (mainly for one of our kiddos) so we are eating a lot more "from scratch". :) I haven't fried up actual chicken with bones...I need to do it! I wish I had your skills for photographing food for my blog. I never do the food justice.

Kalyn Cavalier said...

Reba- you wouldn't believe it but I've gone to reply to your last two comments and my i-devices have died in the middle!! Of both!!

We have been going that route for the last year or so, sometimes more diligently than others, but it's so satisfying! (Even if it is out of necessity!)

Also, how cool that Lauren is a cupcake queen! I'd love to see her creations sometimes.

On the blog photographing front- we are thinking about putting on a couple hour class for everyday camera users, bloggers, ect for $20 on how to better use your camera/get better photos! Just something simple and easy to follow. We are working on outlines right now!