Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Breakfast Blog

We eat breakfast.

It's one of our favorite parts of the day. Making a hot pot of coffee (that I rarely drink, but like to smell), and sifting through different ingredients and recipes... it's a great part of our day.

At the end of breakfast, we have a quick clean-fest, too. Chase usually mans the dishes because he's a dishwasher loading professional, and I'm simply not.. I usually put them in the dishwasher in no specific order or pattern. I think it's drives him a little batty, but that's okay. ;) I usually put away food, utensils, leftovers, and ingredients.

Today was no different. Well it was a little different in the fact that Connor slept until past 9. But when we DID finally all crawl out of bed, we all went to the kitchen.

Connor started out with some yogurt, and I worked on making biscuits, gravy, and bacon.

Not exactly a fruit parfait, and lean turkey bacon, but it's Saturday morning.

The leftover gravy from fried chicken night needed to be eaten, so biscuits are the natural pairing!

It has taken a few takes, but I think I've finally figured out how to make the biscuits fluffy every time.

Leave the dough alone... 

Don't mess with the dough too much. Just shape it and press it out with your hands, and cut the biscuits. Leads to great biscuits every time.

So here's what our biscuits looked like this morning!


This recipe is so simple and super easy.

Biscuits
Ingredients:
2 cups flour**
1/2 cup shortening*** 
3/4 cup milk

1. Heat oven to 450*
2. In a medium bowl, cut shortening into flour mixture. 
3. Stir-in milk (dough will be soft and sticky)
4. Place dough on a floured surface. Shape into a round mound and press out with your fingers to about an inch.
5. Cut cookies and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. 
6. Bake 10-12 minutes. 

 **(we use self-rising, but add 1 tsp salt, and 3 tsp baking powder if using all-purpose)
***(we used butter flavored crisco... you could just use butter)



The best advice for making fluffy biscuits I can give is don't work the dough. In my recipe books it says to knead 10-12 times, and roll out with a rolling pin. When I do that, my biscuits turn out so hard. I also leave mine much thicker than they recommend in the recipe books, too. Thicker biscuits=happy mama.

So, don't knead the biscuits!






No comments: